Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

Legal Adult Adoption

How would one go about adopting an out-of-country adult?

I wish to bring my friend from africa to live here with me in IL.

What would that entail, if it is at all possible?

Asked on 8/28/99, 7:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: Legal Adult Adoption

You can adopt the person under the laws of their country or under the laws of your state if they live with you.

But you can't sponsor them for immigration benefits if they are over the age of 16 when you adopted them.

Sorry - try again.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/99, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois