Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Illinois

6 years ago, i hired an attorney to help me get custody of my 2 children , he was unable to help me, and eventually my ex-husband, their dad kidnapped them to Africa, i called and emailed my attorney telling him to stop representing me but he continued charging me.

he has wrongfully added up interests to the tune of 12,000 dollars

Can he do that? what are my options to stop this. he did not represent me since my email, he showed up in court despite my email once and has charged me interest to reach 12, 000, im not sure how he added it up

I really need legal advice

Asked on 9/02/10, 10:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

You need to get a detailed itemized bill from him and if there is something you do not understand about the bill, be sure to ask him. You also need to read the retainer you have signed and see what is in int--and whether he can charge you interest or not will have to be spelled out in the contract you signed.

The bigger question is that if he is charging you interest it means that there is unpaid balance. If you owe him money for the work he has done (whether successful or not is irrelevant-payment to your lawyer for the work done is not merit based) then you need to pay him what you owe.

I hope this helps-

Read more
Answered on 9/08/10, 4:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Illinois