Legal Question in Personal Injury in Illinois

My boyfriend and I bought a house together, but because of our financial situation I'm the only on the mortgage and also the title. His daughter is 11 and we'd like to let her walk home after school for a couple hours because our work schedules don't allow us to do much else. However, I'm concerned about my liability as the only technical owner of the house. I don't think he would ever take legal action against me but I'm worried about the child's mother, god forbid something happened. Is this legitimate and is there any way around it?

Asked on 10/29/12, 8:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

State law requires someone over 14 to be home when someone younger is there. Your boyfriend should hire someone to be present when his 11-year-old comes home until he or you get home. Otherwise he could be charged with neglect and there could be implications for you depending on other factors.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/12, 4:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Illinois