Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

Breaking a Real Estate Contract

My son's agent found a buyer for his house. The buyer signed an offer, which my son also signed. There were no contingencies in the offer. Now the buyer wants to back out, because her father wants her to buy the house next to him. My son has already purchased another house in another state. What recourse does he have? Can she be made to purchase the house? The closing is scheduled in two weeks.

Asked on 4/13/08, 1:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nicholas Chrisos Nicholas G. Chrisos Attorney at Law

Re: Breaking a Real Estate Contract

I'd have to know more details, but it sounds like there's a breach of the contract by the buyer. If so, the buyer can be sued for (money) damages or for something called "specific performance". That's where you force a person to perform on a contract and it's generally a tough case to win for various reasons.

Contact me if you'd like to discuss this.

Read more
Answered on 4/15/08, 11:33 am
Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

Re: Breaking a Real Estate Contract

The buyer may be responsible for any damages the seller might suffer due to her failure to comply with the terms of the contract. The seller's attorney should be taking care of this. If not, the seller should consider getting a new attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/14/08, 12:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois