Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

My mom is deceased and i still stay in the house that she owned and am still payi g the property tax on it how do i go by selling it

Asked on 7/19/17, 6:18 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

That will depend on a number of factors that an attorney experienced in real estate and probate would need to cover with you, including: whether she had a will, who else survived her, how long it has been, the equity in the property. It's possible this can be handled with a title insurer covering the risks, but it is also possible that you would need or be advised to open an estate in probate court. At minimum, a phone consultation will be necessary to get things started moving in the right direction.

Read more
Answered on 7/19/17, 7:48 am

I agree with Mr. Repay. Sounds like you will ultimately need an attorney to help with the actual sale, so might as well get one (hopefully the same one) involved now to help put title in your name or at least in the name of your mom's estate with you having power of sale (either as executor or administrator, depending on whether or not she had a will). And by the way, if you have any siblings, or if your mom's husband (your dad or otherwise) is still alive, which you do not say, they may be entitled to a share..... You can start with a title company, but if probate is required, you'll probably still need an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/17, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois