Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

My family moved into a new house roughly 5 years ago and we never signed up for the homeowners exemption on our tax bill (I did not know about it). Is there any way to recoup the previous years exemption. We live in IL.

Asked on 11/09/11, 10:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Guttman Rieff Schramm Kanter & Guttman

Most local township Assessor's Offices can help you obtain Certificate of Error's for Homeowner's Exemptions if you qualified to receive the Exemption, but never applied for the exemption. In Cook County, for example, if the owner of the property lived at the property as of January 1st of the tax year and occupied the residence as his/her primary residence, they would be entitled to a Homeowner's Exemption. In Cook County, refunds for overpayment of taxes relating to a taxpayer not getting an exemption can be obtained up to three (3) prior years.

Bear in mind, there are also Exemptions for more than just Homeowner's that are geared toward helping Senior Citizens, low-income Senior Citizens (otherwise known as the Senior's Freeze), Disable Veterans, etc. Thus, a discussion about your particular circumstance with the local township Assessor's Office may yield some additional benefit as well.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/11, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois