Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

Do I need to file income tax (federal & state) for alimony (not child support) that I have been receiving yearly?

If so, how much alimony income that I must report to IRS if I have been receiving less than $9000 yearly based on this link that I found?

Thank you.

Asked on 1/19/13, 4:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alimony is taxable income to you and is a tax deduction to your former spouse. Whether you need to file a tax return is a question that is based on your overall income, not just the alimony. In 2012, you would probably not have to file a Federal income tax return IF you had no other income. On the other hand, you would most likely have some Illinois tax to pay.

However, don't take this as legal or tax advice since I have not reviewed your comprehensive tax situation. Please have a tax preparer review your tax situation to provide you with an accurate answer.

Good luck to you!

Read more
Answered on 1/20/13, 5:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois