Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

I can't get a hold of my tax man. I have one question. I am in the process of settling a lien. As part of the settlement they want me to submit a W-9. The lien is strictly reimbursement of the money I put forth. My question is this. Can I use the receipts from 2014, 2015 and 2016 when filing my 2021 taxes? If not, I believe this is not in my best interest. My attorney is NOT a tax attorney so I come to you for help. I've already lost so much. I can't afford to pay taxes on this money. Thank you in advance for your advise.

Asked on 9/02/21, 4:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

A form W-9 simply seeks your tax id number, your SSN if you are filing taxes as an individual (as opposed to a corporation or partnership).

As to you question concerning the earlier year receipts, the information you presented is not sufficient to result in an opinion. It's the details of the transaction that will indicate the proper tax treatment. You're going to have to persist in getting the attention of your tax man to obtain a qualified opinion.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/21, 8:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois