Legal Question in Traffic Law in Illinois

My son and I recieved speeding tickets, pulled over by the same officer while driving different vehicles.( same date and time) Officer stated we were travelling 80 mph in a 45 nph zone. I admitted that I was traveling at 55mph when asked my speed by the officer at the time of stop but certainly not 80 mph. We arrived to court on the appointed day and time and pled not guilty. We were called by someone representing the Department who told us that they had to file a continuance without providing any other explanation provided. I believe the case should have been dismissed. My son is actually being sworn in as a police officer next month and I am a Federal employee and it costs me about $800.00 a day to take off work. I find this delay as being unreasonable and would like to know my options? I have a 24 year Law enforcement background, and am a disabled vet at 57 years of age without ever recieving a ticket or any other type of violation. What are my options?

Asked on 2/27/20, 12:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Juan Ooink Ooink Law

You could hire an attorney to assist you with this matter. If you are not willing to hire an attorney, you will have to appear in court and see what the Judge says. 80 in a 45 is 35 over which is a Class A Misdemeanor, which is a criminal offense. I am a little confused as to why the Judge did not tell you to hire an attorney. Class A Misdemeanor is punishable by up to a year in jail and up to $2,500.00 in fines not including mandatory assessments.

Read more
Answered on 2/27/20, 12:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Illinois