Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My exhusband passed away a few weeks ago. He was not remarried and left a minor child. He has a mortgage and around 2000 in debt. He ownes two vehicles and a VERY small amount of money in his account which would not even cover the debt. What can I do. I'm in Illinois.

He only has 1,400 in the bank. How can I transfer the vehicles to my daughter or sell them? Should I contact the mortgage company and let them know he passed away?

Asked on 10/26/11, 1:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve Raminiak Law Offices of Steve Raminiak, P.C.

First, you should attempt to determine the net value of the estate. Is the house underwater? If all of his assets were sold, would there be a meaningful amount left after all creditors were paid?

Once you have that answer, contact an attorney so that you can fully explore your options. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 10/27/11, 7:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois