Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My father passed with an active consignment agreement with the owner of a gun shop. I have the list of guns that my father put in his shop to sell but when we went to obtain my father's property he told us that the guns were sold and was not able to provide us with the money, the receipts or the guns. Can we

as the executor of his estate take this man to court and sue him for either the merchandise or the money?

Asked on 11/06/18, 7:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

Yes, you should be able to pursue this as executor(s) unless there is a contractual basis for the consignee denying the claim (e.g., forfeiture after expiration of time). I recommend discussing it with your probate attorney or another local attorney. Perhaps a demand letter will provide a way to settlement while keeping the costs down.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/18, 11:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois