Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I hurt myself at work 12-6-2011 and didn't decide to go to the Dr until 12/9. I was told by my employer on that date that I was to go to their Dr and tell them to release me for regular duty and they would give me light duty. When I arrived at their Dr my boss had already called and told them to do that.. which they did. Since then I have been seeing the same Dr and have had nothing but complications from him. I tried to make an appointment with my regular physician but she/Christie Clinic refuses to deal with workers comp. What are my options?

Asked on 3/22/12, 8:20 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Mike Helfand

That's odd that your doctor won't help you. That said, you can get a 2nd opinion elsewhere. IF you'd like our help call me at (800) 517-1614 and I'll point you in the right direction.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/12, 8:24 am

Michael Harvath Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation

Hi. I am an Illinois attorney that handles workers' compensation claims in all parts of the state.

One of the things that you have to remember here is that the doctors that your employer is referring you to see are doctors that have been selected by the insurance company for your employer. It is not at all unusual for these doctors to end treatment before you are fully recovered, because it can save the insurance company substantial money if they do not have to pay for lots of medical treatment, particularly if you are likely to require treatment for some time into the future. Unfortunately, in these situations, it is the injured worker who often suffers.

Under workers' compensation laws, you are entitled to medical treatment until you are healed, payment for time missed from work due to treatment, AND a lump sum amount of compensation for your ongoing symptoms.

Most good workers' compensation attorneys have doctors that are highly experienced in reviewing injured workers and giving a second opinion to counteract the one-sided opinions of the insurance company doctors. It is extremely important to see an appropriate doctor for a 2nd opinion because the amount of money you are entitled to is based on what the doctor's opinion is. We typically settle cases with on-going symptoms within the $15,000-$75,000 range. More information would be needed to determine the approximate value of your case, based on the type of injury, and other factors.

For your convenience, I can also be reached via e-mail at [email protected] I take calls on weekends, as well as during normal weekday business hours. Thanks.

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege between the user and the attorney responding.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/12, 5:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois