Legal Question in Criminal Law in Indiana

Question about an arrest expungment.

12 years ago I was arrested a month after turning 18. I had a party at my home. Two people who arrived at the party had run from the police earlier in the evening. The police arrived and found these two hiding in my house and I was arrested for assisting a criminal. I was never charged with a crime. I was let go about 12 hours later and that was the end of it. I would like to get this arrest expunged.

According to Indiana Code 35-38-5, A person who is arrested, but never charged can file a petition with the courts of the county of the arrest to request that arrest be expunged. I would like to know how to file this petition. Is there a form letter? Where do I send this letter? I feel this is something that I can do on my own as I have all the information they are requesting, but I don't know where to get started. Thanks in advance for the help!


Asked on 1/25/11, 8:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

This forum is not a good place for step by step instructions. There may be forms floating around on the Internet sonewhere to do this, but it is not a common procedure.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/11, 10:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Indiana