Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

destroyed will

My grandfather passed away recently and I'm pretty sure my mother (his daughter) found the will and destroyed it because he left everything to me. I have a copy of the will that he asked me to make in December of 2007. Is there anything I can do ensure his will is followed? By the way, I live in Virginia and my grandfather lived in Indiana which is where the will was created.

Asked on 3/07/08, 9:33 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: destroyed will

You could begin your oversight of this matter by contacting the probate court in Indiana under which your grandfather's estate presumably

will be administered and request information as to how you may obtain a certified copy of your grandfather's

will if it has been filed with the court by now.(There probably will be a small fee for the certified copy of the will.)

Read more
Answered on 3/07/08, 10:13 am

Paul B. Ward Law Offices of Paul B. Ward

Re: destroyed will

Ifyour grandfather's will has not been presented for probate, you can ask an Indiana attorney to assist you in getting the copy you have submitted for probate on the theory that the original was lost, as opposed to having been destroyed by your grandfather. Since your grandfather asked you just a few months before his death to make a copy of the will, there should be an assumption that he did not destroy the will.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/08, 12:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana