Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

Pre-existing Will

I have a pre-existing will from over 10 years ago. I am now remarried and need it revoked/cancelled? How do I go about doing this? Do I contact the firm that oprepared it or???

Thank you.

Asked on 8/10/08, 12:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Mary J. Hoeller, R.N., J.D. Attorney At Law

Re: Pre-existing Will

You should contact an Elder lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/08, 12:22 pm
C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Pre-existing Will

If you want to revoke your will, then write the words "WILL REVOKED" on the pages, then sign and date all the places where you marked it. This will effectively make your old will null and void, at which point you won't have a will, and all your estate will be subject to the probate laws of intestate succession.

You should probably spend the few hundred dollars it takes to confer with an experienced lawyer to prepare a new will. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/08, 1:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana