Legal Question in Banking Law in Iowa

I just received an out of the blue call from my bank. Back in December of 2012, about two weeks after the closing of my home(organized through this bank), the bank deposited a check from the home mortgage branch, whom I paid all of the closing costs to, in the amount of $700. I remembered my banker telling me that if they didn't need all of the money paid to them at the closing they would cut me a check in blank amount. So I assumed that was the case and really didn't put much thought into it at all. I didn't sign the branches check, I never even seen the check.. from what the bank lady that called me said, the teller just deposited it into my account for the bank. They are now asking me to pay them back. Needless to say, I no longer have that money and I am currently a full time student with two children living on a very tight budget...paycheck to paycheck... what are my options? This is in IA.. I know that the statute of limitations for this state is 5 years, and it has been only 9 months. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on 8/30/13, 12:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

They ought to be able to provide you with a statement of charges that requires you to reimburse them. I wouldn't do anything before I saw something that shows you're obligated to them.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 8:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in Iowa