Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Kansas

I live in Kansas City, KS and am being sued for nonpayment of my NFM account. NFM is a furniture store. I lost my job two years ago and haven't been able to find work. I am seriously considering filing bankruptcy will I be able to file on a judgement from the court if the judge decides I need to pay NFM. Thank.

Asked on 12/10/10, 3:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Mack Mack & Associates, LLC

Just because there is a judgement does not mean the debt related to that judgement cannot be discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy. There are other considerations though. For example, you would want to know if the NFM debt is an unsecured debt or a secured debt. This is because it may effect whether you will need to choose between giving up whatever you may have used to secure the loan or to keep the debt.

However, since it is a debt with a retail outlet there is a good chance that the loan may be unsecured which means you can dissolve the debt without the risks associated with a secured debt. I hope this is helpful but I also realize that there is only so much that can be explained in a question-answer forum like So if you would like to talk more about your situation, I would be happy to clarify my explanation or answer any other questions you may have if you would like to speak on the phone. My office number is (785)274-9040. The phone call would be a free consultation, so there is no risk in calling.

Read more
Answered on 12/15/10, 7:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Kansas