Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

I am 40 years old and married. I would like to change my maiden name to my stepfather's last name but still use my married name. How do I do that?

Asked on 6/18/16, 11:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

I don't know if anyone has ever done what you propose in Kansas. Many 17 year olds have. It migh5 be possible for a marradult to convince a judge to enter a declaratory decision, stating that your former name be now considered that of your Stepfather. It might be easier (or necessary) to do it be changing your name now to "stepfather" s name- "husband"s last name You can possibly research this issue at your local Law library, or hide an attorney or law school student to get the research for you. I might be willing to do a Westlaw search for $150-$250, depending upon how much work you want done. There would be a separate charge for representing youon a Petition to change your name.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/22/16, 7:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas