Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

Acouple days ago i went to a restaurant and after i was done i left a tip and went and paid with my debit card. On the receipt it asked how much of a tip i wanted to leave. Since i already left one i put 0.00. Well today I went to a ATM and it said my balance was $990 less than it should have been. So i call my bank and they said there was a pending charge at the restaurant for $10.48(which was correct) and there was another one for $990 dollars from IHOP. Well i called IHOP and talked to the manager and he told me it was a mistake and he'll fax it in to corporate and have them call me in the morning. What can I do from a legal stand point?

Asked on 7/10/11, 11:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You shouldn't have to do anything. Notify your bank that the charge was erroneous, and that should take care of the problem, if IHOP hasn't already corrected it on their end.

This is the risk of using your debit card for transactions -- mistakes happen. Even more difficulties ensue when fraud occurs. Check with your bank concerning what protections are extended to you through your debit card. You might find one of your credit cards offers better services in such regards.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/11, 5:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky