Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

i have a class d felony in the state of kentucky. im in college getting aan associates degree in criminal justice and my professor told me that in the state of kentucky you can not get a felony expunged is this true of false ? i wanna work in law enforcement but dont wanna waste my time if i cant get my felony expunged.

Asked on 10/25/09, 12:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas McAdam Thomas A. McAdam, III, Attorney

Contrary to some popular belief, criminal arrest records and court conviction records are not automatically “sealed” after the passage of a period of time. Arrest records and criminal court records remain open to the public view, indefinitely.

Kentucky does, however, have three expungement statutes which allow for the sealing of arrest and court records, under certain circumstances.

KRS 431.078 allows a person to have certain convictions expunged:

What's eligible: All misdemeanors and Class D felony drug possession.

No other felony conviction can be expunged.

Limits: One case, involving any number of charges, every five years.

Exceptions: Sex offenses or crimes against children aren't eligible.

Filing form: Form AOC-496.

Filing fee: $25.

Requirements: Must wait five years after conviction, seven years if probation was applied to case; no other convictions within five-year period before expungement sought.

Judge's options: No discretion. Judge must grant expungement if applicant meets requirements.

Who's notified: Prosecutors and victims.

Case access: No access except to defendant by court order. Not subject to public records laws.

For more detailed information, read my article:

You should not take any action, based upon my advice, without consulting an attorney and explaining all the facts to him. You are best advised to seek the services of a competent Kentucky attorney. You can get a referral to a criminal law specialist from the Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, at

[email protected]

Additionally, you can telephone your local bar association for a referral, or can find a good lawyer on-line at the Kentucky Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service:

Good luck!

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 10/30/09, 1:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky