Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

does a revocation of probation over child support man jail time, the probation is on child support arreages. the probation officer in the case hasnt requested revocation its the judge and county attorney whos doing it. he is currently in cusyody.

Asked on 4/11/10, 11:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Royce Bishop Mr. M & Save My Home

Generally you cannot be sent to jail for not having money if you really don't have it. It seems like the commonwealth attorney (prosecutor) seems to think that he has money and is not paying it. You can be jailed for that in a criminal case. When probation is revoked, it is just like there never was probation and the case is starting all over again with the State prosecuting the Defendant. So jail depends on what the charge was, any criminal history, any mandatory minimum jail time, etc. They do need a attorney. If they cannot afford one, they should contact the KY Department of Public Advocacy and get a free or low cost attorney that the State pays for. Mr. Misdemeanor, "In your corner."

Read more
Answered on 4/22/10, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky