Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Kentucky

I have written a children's short story. Sent it in for copyright. Am now having an illustrator to do sketches for the work. What legal question should I ask the illustrator and publisher in order to protect the work.

Asked on 1/19/10, 9:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce Burdick Burdick Law Firm

You need an agreement giving you the copyright on the sketches (illustrations) for the book. This is called a work for hire agreement or a copyright assignment agreement. You should probably pay to have a copyright lawyer draft one for you so it is done right. It is Federal law, so any good copyright lawyer in any state can do it for you. If you want my help, call or email. Or, if you want the name of one near you in Kentucky, let me know and I will give you a referral to one. This is a simple inexpensive document, so get it done right.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/10, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Kentucky