Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

How can I drop charges in a domestic violence situation

About a month ago, We had a problem in our home in which my 18 yo son was put into jail. He got angry when his father threatened to call the police and have him removed from the home if he would not get up and go to school. That day he was ill and in a bad mood, and ended up punching some holes in the wall and accidentally pushing me to the ground. Since then he has moved out of the house and is doing fine. This has never happened before, and he has since made restitution for the damages and is sincerely sorry that the whole thing happened. I spoke to the DA and they said that I could not drop the charges, but I absolutely WILL NOT PURSUE this matter. I feel that he has suffered enough just by the fact that he can no longer live in our house. The incident was overexagerated to the deputy, and now I think that it will damage him if it goes to court. I was very upset that morning due to the fact that it had never happened in the past. I know in my heart that my son would never hurt me or anyone else intentionally. Please help me...I do not want my son to go to jail for something that may have been instigated by me or my husband.

Asked on 3/05/04, 1:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)

Re: How can I drop charges in a domestic violence situation

At his age and having made restitution, he should be able to get into a pre-trial diversion program, if your parish has one. I suggest you contact an attorney to discuss the possibilities

Read more
Answered on 3/05/04, 6:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana