Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

If a child doesn't live with the mother or the father, does the mother have a right to file child support?

Asked on 9/04/13, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

No. Child support isn't awarded as some sort of income for the mother. It is for exactly what is says it is for--support of the child. If the child is not living with the mother, she is not supporting the child. Why would she be entitled to child support? Whomever is supporting and raising the child may be entitled to child support payments from both parents.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 12:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana