Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maine

if a lawyer represents a couples minor child in a settlement of a personal injury claim can he represent one of the couple aganainst the other in a parental rights action

Asked on 1/09/12, 6:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.

That is an area where the obvious first impression is that there is a conflict, but depending on the situation, the extensive or limited information exchanged during the course of the representation of the child, etc. it could possibly be ethical.

If this is a situation that has actually developed and you are the parent who is now faced with your child's atty representing the other parent against you, I urge you to contact the Board of Overseers of the Bar to discuss as it is their function to address these issues. Your call to them would be confidential. The tel is 623-1121

Read more
Answered on 1/10/12, 5:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maine