Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maine

I own a house with my sister and brother. It was left to us from our parents. I do not live there and no longer have any use for it. I want to sell as well does my sister. How much would it cost to file a petition to partition in a court in Maine. Can I do this without a lawyer? Want to know a goo estimate before I takeon this challenge.

Asked on 7/17/13, 3:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliott Teel Teel Law Office

The answer of cost depends a lot on your brother. If he is going to dispute it, then he can make it very costly. The procedural issues in theses cases make it such that I would not recommend attempting to do so without an attorney. Cases like this can cost several thousand dollars, and it is usually best to resolve the case without a trial.

Feel free to call my office to discuss this further.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 8:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maine