Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My father passed away and left the house to me through a life estate deed. I am trying to get a loan out on my home equity. But the bank says that the house is not in my name. Is this my deed or do i need to have it deeded in my name? They suggest a quick claim deed, which I believe would require all of my siblings to sign to say the house is mine (which will be putting salt on an old wound). Is this the only way I can go or is there a better option for me to get it deeded in my name?

Asked on 6/21/11, 8:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Abraham Abraham & Bauer, LLC

If you are named as the sole remainderman (beneficiary) in the deed and after this one, no other deeds were signed by you father or his power of attorney, you own the house. The bank is incorrect because your siblings would not own anything to deed to you. My advice is to go to a different lender.

Please note that the answering of your question does not create any attorney client relationship

Read more
Answered on 6/22/11, 5:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland