Legal Question in Business Law in Maryland

My wife and I are looking for an attorney in Baltimore, Maryland to help us purchase a local beer, wine and liquor package goods store. Do you have any advice on what type of attorney we should be seeking?

Asked on 6/26/19, 11:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

You may wish to look for a business law / real estate attorney experienced in liquor license transfers. Alternatively, you could retain counsel generally familiar with commercial transactions to draft the purchase agreement and retain other counsel familiar with the local liquor license transfer process for that stage of proceedings.

The type of transaction you described usually has 3 parts: 1) the real estate purchase, 2) the general business purchase (which might be an asset purchase or a purchase of the ongoing business) and 3) the administrative liquor license application / transfer.

While most real estate / business practitioners handle matters through the state, for the liquor license piece you likely want counsel experienced in the jurisdiction (county/city) where the existing liquor license is held.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/19, 7:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Maryland