Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My probation officer is pushing through a summons for a case review. Should I seek legal representation in regard to this issue?

To place this in further context, I am on supervised probation due to a conviction on a DWI. In addition, to supervised probation for the next year and a half, whereas six months have already lapsed, I had to have an interlock device implemented into my vehicle for the next year. On this device I have had 3 violations and given the premise that it is seen as a near violation of my probation, my probation is sumitting a recommendation for summons by a judge.

If I am convicted it will more than likely result in my incarceration for a year which, in light of my persuance of treatment, had been suspended, which is thus the reason why I am on supervised probation.

If priority can be placed on answering this inquiry it was be more than greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.


Adam K

Asked on 3/13/13, 1:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

While it is unlikely that an attorney would be able to persuade the probation agent not to pursue a violation, an attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/13, 2:26 pm
Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

You most certainly need an attorney to represent you in this VOP, because we can present your situation to the Court in the best light.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/13, 5:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland