Legal Question in Elder Law in Maryland

My mother is in a nursing home in Maryland for the pass 9 years covered by Medicaid. I have full Power of attorney. The home for the first time just recently sent me a bill for five hundred dollars. Can they hold me responsible for this or any billing? Don't know, but might have signed a personal responsibility form when she was admitted.

Asked on 10/12/10, 3:42 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

If I were in your shoes, I would VERY POLITELY ask the nursing home for a copy of my mother's entire file, including any admittance documents I may have signed when my mother was first admitted. Then I would read the documents and decide whether the bill is something I agreed to or not. If I did not agree in writing to personally assume any of my mother's bills, I would write the nursing home a letter (include a copy of the bill) saying that there has been a mistake and to please correct their files. If the nursing home continues to pursue the claim, I would consider hiring a creditor's rights attorney to represent my interests.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 10/17/10, 4:50 am
Richard Abraham Abraham & Bauer, LLC

I am licensed and practice in Maryland as a planning, probate and elder law attorney. You should request a copy of of the admission agreement which allow you to determine if you made yourself personally responsible for your mother's debt. In addition, have you been making your mother's cost of care contribution (COC) from her income every month. Most MA residents in nursing homes have this where a portion of the income goes to the facility. If you need further assistance you can contact me at 443-901-1333

Read more
Answered on 10/18/10, 5:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Maryland