Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

after my divorce can i change my name to my step fathers last name instead of my maiden name

Asked on 5/14/14, 9:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Brown Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC

As part of your divorce hearing you can only restore your name to that of a previous name. For example, if you took your spouse's name upon marriage you can revert to the name you had before marriage. But you cannot pick a name that you never used before. For that you must go through the normal name change procedure, which really isn't difficult to do. Google "maryland judiciary" or "maryland courts" and follow the links for E-Services->Court Forms->Family Law Forms->Domestic Relations. There are fill-in-the-blank forms and instructions for doing this.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/14, 6:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland