Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Do we need to refinance in a divorce?

I own a house w/ my husband and

we bought at the height of the

market in Howard County, maryland.

Now we're worried we don't have

much equity (0%down and we've

paid $17,000 above interest). He is

staying in the house. I want my

name off. Is the only way to do this

to refinance? I've heard about

something called a QuitClaim Deed?

Asked on 10/31/08, 10:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Raquel S. White Law Office of Raquel S. White, LLC

Re: Do we need to refinance in a divorce?

The Quit Claim Deed can remove your name from the Deed. However, changing the deed does not necessarily absolve you from the responsibility of the mortgage.

Read more
Answered on 10/31/08, 10:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland