Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Step parent adoption in Maryland

I want to adopt my fiance's eleven year-old daughter who is presently resident in Maryland. My fiance adopted her daughter from Russia and the birth parents terminated their parental rights so that my fiance has sole legal authority over her daughter.

I am a US citizen and lawyer, but not from Maryland, and am based in Europe.

What's the procedure and do we have to wait until the wedding n November?


Asked on 5/20/08, 6:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: Step parent adoption in Maryland

You can file a petition for adoption in the circuit court of your county. It might be a good idea to wait until you are married, so you can demonstrate the stability of a marital relationship in your adoption petition. Locate an attorney who specializes in adoptions, as this area of the law is somewhat specialized.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/08, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland