Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

My husband's ex-boss tried to take us to court in Virginia because he said we owed him money for training fees on our horse. The judge dismissed it in court and then he tried to take it to the stewards at the track. The stewards dismissed it as well. Now he has gone back to his home state of Florida and filed an agister's lein on our horse. My husband was underpaid by his ex-boss and he actually owes us money for that and there was no written contract ever signed when my husband went to work for this man. What should we do? Is there any legal action we can take against them for money owed to my husband for work performed? What can we do to stop the harassment from this man everywhere we go(other racetracks and anything else)?

Asked on 8/18/12, 8:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

Your post raises several questions. The following general legal information may help, but you are encouraged to consult with an attorney to get specific legal advice about any litigation against you or any contemplated lawsuit you may want to file.

As far as any unpaid wages, yes, there is action one can take in Maryland. So long as there was a clear agreement to pay a particular wage, the fact that no written contract existed is not fatal.

As far as any action taken in Florida, one needs to follow the Florida laws and consult with a Florida barred attorney for advice on how to deal with any lien or other proceedings instituted there. Generally speaking the law does not allow one to re-try the same action in multiple states.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/12, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland