Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland


If someone makes a threat regarding your family to a third party can you contact the police and get a restraining order or is it considered hearsay unless they say it to you?

Asked on 4/21/07, 8:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kaufman Kaufman Law, A Professional Corporation

Re: Threats

Something is "hearsay" if it is said out of court and then people testify about it in court. This is the strict definition and is frequently misused or misunderstood. But just because you did not witness something does not mean that it did not happen. Nor does it mean that it should be ignored.

I recommend you tell the police about the threat and tell the police how you learned about the threat, including the name of the 3rd party. Ask the police to investigate and to take appropriate steps to protect you.

If nothing happens or if you continue to feel threatened, go to the local courthouse and talk to the local district attorney about what you can do to protect your family.

Read more
Answered on 4/23/07, 7:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland