Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

my mom and i own a condo together in greenbelt maryland. how do i change to deed to my name only?

Asked on 8/27/13, 1:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

This is a simple matter of both current owners (i.e. you and your mom) executing a new deed conveying the property only to you. However, please note that if an owner has an outstanding mortgage on the property they may need to get the lender's permission before any deed transfer.

Please also be aware that transferring property without money changing hands can require a gift tax return and may go against a lifetime gift/estate tax credit.

My firm does family deeds for a flat fee but you are welcome to contact any attorney of your choosing. While I hope the general legal information above helps, it doesn't offer representation or legal advice. The specific facts of your situation may affect how the law applies to you.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 4:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland