Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

What do I need to do to put another person on the deed to my home?

Asked on 2/06/15, 4:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

Deed transfers can be relatively quick and simple, assuming there is no mortgage and the transaction is exempt from transfer and recordation taxes. If the person being added is a close family member (spouse, parent, child) the law may exempt the transaction from transfer/recordation taxes.

In Maryland, a new deed can only be prepared by an attorney or a party to the transaction. An attorney can easily retrieve the existing deed and tax account information. My office can typically prepare a new deed in 2-3 business days although this varies from firm to firm. After it is prepared, the deed is signed and witnessed. Certain forms or affidavits may need to be attached to the deed, depending on the circumstances. Some county governments require a lien release which may take a few days to obtain and costs a few. Then the signed deed goes through a process of stamping / approval at 3-4 governmental offices (the process varies slightly county to county). As of 2015, there is a $60 government recording fee for every deed (except lengthy deeds which cost more).

While I hope that this post helps, it is not a promise to represent. You're encouraged to seek legal counsel from an attorney of your choosing.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/15, 3:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland