Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

I need to add express gift giving authority to my Agent on a Durable General POA in the state of Maryland to include gifts and transfers of any and all of my property (accounts, real estate, etc...) to herself, the Agent, directly, as I only have one daughter who is my only immediate family member. Is there a place I can find the correct language to add this provision to a standard form? It is my understanding that this is allowed in Maryland, so long as the specific permission is stated. I have all other necessary provisions but cannot find an example of the appropriate verbiage to express this one clause. I have very limited income and cannot afford to hire an attorney to draft a custom form. Thank you!

Asked on 11/23/10, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Stewart Law Office of Charles R. Stewart, LLC

Effective October 1, 2010, Maryland instituted a Maryland Statutory Form Personal Financial Power of Attorney and a Maryland Statutory Form Limited Power of Attorney. They are written into the Maryland Code and are available on the Maryland Bar Association web site at (under Latest Documents). It would be prudent to consult a qualified attorney to select the proper form and assist in filling it out.

Read more
Answered on 11/29/10, 1:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland