Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My brother was dieing an made his landlord the executive of his will now he is gone an she will not let anyone see the will is there anyway I can get a copy of the will if so how do I go about this process

Asked on 8/24/17, 1:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

A Personal Representative (called an "Executor" in some states) should open an estate with reasonable promptness after someone dies. Once the estate is opened, the Will becomes a matter of public record and any interested person can get a copy from the Register of Wills.

The law does not give an exact time frame to open an estate, but if more than a month or two have passed and the Will has not yet been produced, an interested person / heir can petition the Court for a limited order to locate the Will.

While the above is not legal advice specific to your situation, I hope this general information helps.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/17, 7:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland