Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

What do you do when a co-trustee refuses to communicate or cooperate? My mother has been dead for 10 months now and my sister refuses to work with me. I have been paying everything from my own money including more than $18,000 in legal fees to get this resolved but nothing is happening. I can't even get into the trust assets, Help please.

Asked on 12/27/15, 5:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Beatson, II Law Offices of Robert Beatson, II

Suggest you talk to an attorney who handles Federal/MD estate and trust/taxation matters. Information will need to be assembled and carefully reviewed for a proper analysis and estate/trust distribution plan to be implemented. An experienced trusts/estates/tax attorney in MD should be able to handle this type of matter and to protect the interests of the client. Please note that, in accordance with the MD Code of Professional Responsibility for Attorneys, a signed engagement letter is necessary in order to engage my legal services. If I can be of any help to you or people you know, contact me as I would be pleased to provide tax/legal support.


Bob Beatson, 12-27-2015, 2:10 p.m. EST

Law Offices of Robert Beatson II, 9818 Glynshire Way, Potomac, MD 20854

Email: [email protected]


Practice areas: Tax, business law, computer/high tech/biotech law,

intellectual property, trusts/estates/wills, real estate, litigation, mediation.

Licensed to practice law in: DC, MD, VA, and NY.

ABA Member since 1980

Read more
Answered on 12/27/15, 11:14 am
Kathryn McDonough Kathryn McDonough

I agree that the best course of action is to speak with an attorney who has experience in the area of trust and estate litigation. You may be in a position where you may have to file a pleading with the court asking for your sister's removal as co-trustee. If you would like to speak about this matter, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kathryn McDonough

Attorney and Mediator

8601 Georgia Ave. Suite 206

Silver Spring, MD 20910

Phone: (301) 563-6685

Fax: (301) 563-6681

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 12/28/15, 8:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland