Legal Question in Criminal Law in Massachusetts


I have been informed by a friend that a 'Straight Warrant'' has been sent to my home in Massachusetts. The warrant lists larceny as the crime. I am currently out of town. Please tell me what is a straight warrant exactly and what should I do?

Asked on 9/23/05, 1:16 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Martha Kovner Law Offices of Martha J. Kovner

Re: Warrant

A straight warrant means that you have been accused of a crime and a clerk felt that there was enough probable cause to issue the complaint and issue a warrant for your arrest based upon the charge. It is most beneficial for you to turn yourself in as soon as possible, preferably with an attorney. Depending upon the severity of the charges, your prior record (if any) and where you currently live there could possibly be a bail request by the District Attorney's office. Bail is a way of assuring the court that you will return on the case--that is why an attorney is important. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at [email protected] Martha Kovner

Read more
Answered on 9/23/05, 6:24 pm

Robert Kidd Law Offices of Robert P. Kidd

Re: Warrant

A "straight" warrant is merely an arrest warrant resulting from a criminal investigation in which charges were brought against someone. As opposed to a "default" warrant, which is a warrant for missing a court date on a pending criminal charge.

You need to find out which court issued the warrant and go to that court, preferably with an attorney, and turn youself in on the warrant. You will be arraigned on the charge in open court. An arraignment is simply the formal reading of the charges, including the date and place of the alleged offense(s). Depending on the nature of the offense, the court will normally give you another date to come back w/ your attorney and try to resolve your case.

You would want to turn yourself in as soon as possible to avoid being arrested on the warrant.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/05, 1:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Massachusetts