Legal Question in Elder Law in Massachusetts

Wife has dementia, can not legally sign documents controlling finances. Can the Husband sign documents, though his wife is the sole owner of the assets or is a guardianship required? No power of attorney has been signed. Thank you.

Asked on 4/05/11, 10:00 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

I am so sorry to hear that your wife is suffering from dementia.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the time for executing a power of attorney may have passed, and you will need to proceed with guardianship proceedings. Please feel free to contact my office if you would like to speak to an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/11, 10:08 am

I am sorry to hear your wife is ill.

Unfortunately, you will need to obtain a guardianship for her. Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/11, 10:10 am
Michael Gorman Law Offices of Michael D. Gorman, LLC

You will need to apply for a guardianship and or a conservatorship. I see that you are in Leominster, which is not far from our office. My office has elder law as one of its focuses, and we do petitions for Guardians and Conservators. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/11, 10:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Massachusetts