Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

My brother and sister in law are getting a divorce. She initiated the separation for the second time and has been seeing someone else both times. they have house together and three children with her father in a in-law apartment next door. she has worked two overnight shifts only for as long as I can remember. I am frustrated because he is having a terrible time finding a place to live and it seems she is reaping every benefit as he is getting less than the short end of the stick. does he have any rights at all? I don't think he is thinking in his right mind and I would like to help

Asked on 8/25/13, 6:33 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC.

You may want to encourage him to retain divorce counsel, if he does not yet have an attorney advising him. It sounds like you believe that your brother is being taken advantage of. Of course he has rights! It is impossible to say what is appropriate without knowing more about the situation, but you could offer to loan him money in order to get professional advice.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/13, 12:02 pm

Your brother has rights and he should retain an attorney if he does not have one now. The question is one of division of assets as well as child support and alimony. Likewise, it will depend on whether your brother wants to fight for custody. Her father is not entitled to free rent and that should be factored into the income of at least one or not both of the parties.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/13, 3:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts