Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

I have a friend who is married with two children ( ages 3 and 7) and very unhappy in her marriage. She lives in Ma. She is a waitress and makes very little money. She wants to leave her husband but is afraid that she wont beable to support them on her own. I do know that her husband works under the table as a carpenter, and has vowed to never pay child support or help in any way..What is she legally entitled to? What should be her next move? Are there things in Ma that she is elegibale for,,such as housing, food stamps etc.. She has no clue where to start. Thank you very much, Beth

Asked on 6/03/11, 6:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Wyckoff Nissenbaum The Law Office of Wyckoff Nissenbaum


In general a spouse is entitled to child support and may be entitled to spousal support during the pendency of a divorce. Her first step should be to talk to a divorce lawyer to better understand how the laws apply to her specific situation.

Read more
Answered on 6/03/11, 6:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts