Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

My boyfriend has lived in the apartment with me for two years and hasnt paid a dime. I am on the lease alone. I changed the locks but he refuses to leave. He is verbaly and mentally abusive and broke my bedroom door down when I changed the locks in an effort to get him to leave. He threatened to break all the other doors down if I dont give him a key. What are my rights? how can I get him to leave?

Asked on 5/19/16, 12:55 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

If you are afraid that he may harm you or maliciously damage property you can go the local court (such as a district court) and request a domestic abuse restraining order. If a judge finds that he has been abusive and you have a fear of abuse in the future the judge can order that he not abuse you and not harm the property. A judge can also order that he vacate the property. There is no cost if you get a domestic relations restraining order.

Read more
Answered on 5/19/16, 1:00 pm

Attorney Pransky's advice is correct. Otherwise, you need to seek an eviction for trespass.

Read more
Answered on 5/19/16, 1:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts