Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

My brother and I moved into public housing (HUD) together after the death of my mother. I am getting engaged and wondered if I could add him to our lease. He has a part time job. I want to do it the right way.

Asked on 1/15/15, 2:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonas Jacobson Law Offices of Jonas Jacobson

Not only can you add your new husband to the lease - there are probably rules that you must inform the HA of any changes to your "household income." I think if you speak to them about it, they will tell you what to do. That said, if you end up being over-income as a result of his income, then I think you may have some problems staying in public housing. The truth is that public housing is experiencing a cut in funding, and you really ought to speak to a lawyer or social worker who can help you navigate the process.

Of course, where you are in public housing, it would stand to reason that you do not have enough money to be able to do that. I respect that you are in a real pickle. But there are many unknowns here, and this is a complex area. Generally speaking: the housing authority is entitled to know your household income.

Read more
Answered on 1/19/15, 9:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts