Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

Auto Accident on the Job

I was stopped at a red-light, rear-ended, my car was totaled and have now been off for several months. I live in CT, the accident took place in MA and my employer is in IL. I have diagnosed neuropathy in both legs and the doctors have indicated I may not be able to go back to work. Should my legal suit be against both the driver and the company I worked for when the accident occurred?

Asked on 7/01/07, 9:50 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Raymond Weicker Weicker Law, PLLC

Re: Auto Accident on the Job

You have a direct suit against the driver in Massachusetts for rear ending you. Massachusetts courts have jurisdiction; contact me if you would like us to represent you. With respect to your employer, you have aworkman's comp claim, not a lawsuit (unless there was something horribly defective with the a company supplied car that caused the accident?).

Read more
Answered on 7/01/07, 9:55 pm
Christopher Earley Law Office of Christopher Earley

Re: Auto Accident on the Job

Sounds like a really bad injury.

No, you cannot sue your employer as you, I will presume, were acting in the course and scope of your employment when the accident occurred. Therefore, you would file a workers compensation claim with your employer's workers compensation insurance carrier.

In addition, you can file a "third-party" negligence claim against the driver who hit you, as well as the employer for that driver.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/07, 10:12 pm
Maurice LaRiviere, Jr. Law Office of Maurice LaRiviere, Jr.

Re: Auto Accident on the Job

I find this case interesting and would discuss the details with you if you desire. Call my office number for specifics and also a focus on why you think your employer would be liable.

Note I prefer that intimate details of an injury and litigation strategy not be discussed on a forum that all can view.


Read more
Answered on 7/02/07, 6:34 am
Peter Van Dyke Eagan, Donohue, Van Dyke, & Falsey, LLP

Re: Auto Accident on the Job

I agree with the other attorneys. I am licensed in both Connecticut and Massachusetts. Stanger & Arnold, LLP handles both serious personal injury and workers' compensation claims. Our office is conveniently located in West Hartford but, given the seriousness of your injuries, I would be happy to discuss your case further at your home if it is more convenient. There is no fee for this consultation and we typically handle these cases on a contingency basis which means you do not pay an attorneys' fee unless there is a financial recovery.

You can learn more about Stanger & Arnold, LLP at


Peter Van Dyke

Read more
Answered on 7/02/07, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts