Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

I was rear ended by a drunk driver (she was arrested for OUI on the scene) while stopped at a stoplight. I have serious but not debilitating back, neck and shoulder pain for which I am receiving medical treatments. My car was seriously damaged but I think the damage will be deemed repairable by the insurance company. I have been advised by the body shop that I should never drive this car again but I feel as though I don't have a say if the leasing company and insurance agree to repair. Should I hire a lawyer to have someone looking out for my interests?

At the scene the other party repeatedly claimed she was on her way to see a patient- she is a doctor. If she was on her way to see a patient (and not using that as an excuse to leave the scene) is her employer liable as well?

Asked on 1/08/11, 9:17 am

5 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Earley Law Office of Christopher Earley

I would be happy to give to you a free telephone consultation to discuss the case.

Chris Earley

Read more
Answered on 1/13/11, 9:23 am
Warren Wood Law Offices of Warren Wood

Based on what you say, you would definitely benefit from legal assistance.

Feel free to call for free consultation. These cases are often handled on a contingent basis.

No out of pocket legal expenses to you...

Good Luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/11, 9:24 am
Steven Bloom Cushner & Bloom, P.C.

I feel that everyone injured in a motor vehicle accident should be represented by counsel. An experienced attorney can work on being sure that you receive all of the insurance benefits that you may be entiled to. Depending on the facts of the case, these may include "no-fault" insurance benefits (Personal Injury Protection benefits), Med. Pay benefits, bodily injury coverage benefit from the responsible party's insurance company, underinsured motorist coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, property damage coverage and, perhaps, worker's compensation benefits if the accident happened during the course and scope of employment. Whether the responsible party's employer is liable for the damages to the injured party is a somewhat complicated question and very much depends on the facts of the case. Please also take a look at the portion of my webpage which discusses auto accidents in Massachusetts:

If you would like to speak to me about the case, please call 617 608 0019.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/11, 9:51 am
Edward L. Amaral, Jr. Amaral & Associates, P.C.

The doctor's statement is an admission that will help you with your case. You should wait to make repairs to your vehicle until you retain an attorney to assist you with your claim for any injuries that you may have sustained or may sustain in the future as a result of your accident. The damage to your vehicle shows impact to you and your body...which will be helpful when negotiating your claim with the insurance companies especially if you only have soft tissue injuries. I look forward to discussing the above at your earliest convenience as time is of the essence with these cases with you retaining an attorney ...especially if either yours or the doctor's insurance company is trying to contact you. I look forward to your response. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/11, 9:53 am

You seem to have a good personal injury case that a lot of attorneys would want, which you can leverage into getting help with whatever property damage end of it which most lawyers would not care about. You are doing yourself a disservice by not hiring a lawyer. Good luck. Regards, JBS

Read more
Answered on 1/18/11, 2:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts