Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Massachusetts

My mother passed away but had me on her bank account (checking) but didnt have me on her savings (I'm sure she didn't realize she had to do it 2x) - no will or anything and the estate is less than $15,000 do i get the balance of that savings account (I'm in Massachusetts).

Asked on 8/13/15, 8:20 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

I'm so sorry for your loss. You will need to probate your mother's estate. You will petition the Probate Court for your appointment as personal representative. Once appointed, you will have the authority to transact business, gather assets, settle debts, etc., on behalf of the estate. Our office represents folks in your position and would be happy to assist. Don't hesitate to reach out at 617-357-4898 or by e-mailing our probate administration attorney, Emily McNeil, at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/13/15, 8:23 am

My condolences. You will have to file a Petition for a small estate once appointed as Personal Representative you will be able to access the funds.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/15, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Massachusetts