Legal Question in Workers Comp in Massachusetts

my company is beating around the bush

I was hurt at work abt 2 weeks ago. I have been going to the company dr and they say that i had a back spasm in my upper back and neck. I have seen them 4 times and i'm in as much pain as the day this accident happened. I can't drive my car to work and they said if i don't come to work, even on light duty they won't pay me. I have no one to drive me and i can't make it there safely. I won't to see my own dr and an othro that i have dealt with before. Can i do that? Will they have to pay for it? Or am i going to get stuck with all the bills and still have no income coming in?

Asked on 2/10/04, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Janice Toole Cline & Migner

Re: my company is beating around the bush

Under the workers' compensation law in Massachusetts, you have the following basic rights: if your doctor says you are totally disabled, you can apply to receive weekly benefits in the amount of 60% of your average weekly wage, you can pick your own doctor, you can usually see up to 2 doctors in the same speacialty and apply to have the workers' compensation insurance coampany pay the medical bills for your treatment. You do not have to see doctors your employer chooses for treatment. At times, the insurance comapny may ask you to be examined by a doctor of their chossing, but you can still receive your treatment from doctors of your own choosing. If the workers' comepensation insurer does pay your benefits or medical bills, you can file a claim and have your case heard by judges for the Department of Industrial Accidents.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/04, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Massachusetts